Monday, September 28, 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up

I was thinking of an opening to start this article, but I could not think of anything better than to continue on the last thing I wrote about in the previous article.


I wished American Heavyweight Chris Arreola good luck in his title fight against Vitali Klitschko. I am a massive boxing fan, but I never seriously thought that Arreola was this country's great big hope in returning to Heavyweight glory. Then, I was watching on HBO, and I heard in a segment about Arreola, that HBO's Larry Merchant called Arreola "The best American Heavyweight prospect since Riddick Bowe.".

Yes, when I heard it, I thought the same thing. This old man finally really lost his marbles, and that Merchant basically gave Arreola the perverbial Kiss of Death.

Merchant did exactly that. Arreola, coming into the fight in better shape than the usual walking torilla machine, was flat out embarassed by the older, more polished Klitschko. It was actually more one-sided than the Mayweather-Marquez fight HBO showed before this live fight. Somehow, HBO's unoffical judge gave one round to Arreola. He must of been having drinks with Merchant all night long to think that.

If this is supposedly the best this country has to offer in over 15 years, will we ever see another great U.S. Heavyweight?

Baseball Thoughts:

-Congrats to the New York Yankees, and their fans for wrapping up the AL East by waterboarding their rival Red Sox this weekend. Now ironically, you have to root for the Red Sox to beat the Angels, who just have your number since early on in the Torre administration. The enemy of my emeny is my frien. Even Shakespeare would be proud of this.

-Zach Greinke wrapped up the AL CY with win #16 and those sick stats. CC Sabathia was just too little, too late, even though he has been awesome the last 6 weeks.

College Football Thoughts:

-We all know that the College Football Polls are as straight and legit as Al Capone's business ledgers. I mean, personally, I knew everyone the week before was overhyping Miami in the polls. I thought that was bad, but this week might be the worst ever. USC going up five spots by beating a bad Washington St. team at home? LSU going up to #4 after almost getting upsetted by Mississippi St.? I actually rather have the hands of the National Title in the computers if this is the crap that will continue to go on.

-At least we found out the serious pretenders in this college season early. That goes to you California, Penn St., and Mississippi. I will not put Miami in that mix. I give The U alot of props for playing that schedule.


-I really do believe Alabama is better than Florida this time around. Round 2 of the new annual SEC Title war is going to be one of the five best football games this year, NFL included.

-USC went to #5 in the polls somehow while I wrote this article...

NFL Thoughts:


-Whoever reads this blog, knows how sick I must of been watching Favre toss that game winning TD pass and basically being carried off the field like Scott Howard after hitting those two game winning free throws in Teen Wolf. Although, even I have to admit, what a pass.

-I wonder if the city of Detroit was more excited about the Lions finally winning a game than about the Tigers in the middle of a divison race. Congrats to the Lions for finally reeling off a W, and good luck to the Tigers. That city needs all the excitement it can muster nowadays.

-I do not know which game was a bigger mismatch. Cleveland-Baltimore, or NY Giants-Tampa Bay. Two rare examples of men playing against boys. Giants just stomped a mudhole into the Bucs, and put up a convincing shutout without their best defensive player in Justin Tuck. Baltimore even threw the Eff-You Bomb in the 4th quarter for a 70+ yard TD. Mangini must of fined his CB for using a fire extinugisher on himself after getting burnt...

-Peyton Manning is a football God. There is much else to say about him. Chris Collinsworth on the Sunday Night game showed and explained how Manning at the line delays until he sees the defense bite on their blitzing, and calls the audibles/hot routes from there. That is why Collingsworth is the best analyst in the game.

Now Chris, please explain to me how Jim Zorn will still have a job this week?

-I cannot wait for the Jets-Saints game next week. The Unstoppable Force against the Immovable Object. Brees against Sanchez, who is becoming the most popular athlete in NYC this side of Derek Jeter and fast. The matchup I really want to see is Saints tall, physical WR Marques Coltson, who might have a chip on his shoulder still from playing at Hofstra, where the Jets use to practice, and being overlooked by them, against Darrelle "Island" Revis.

-I actually Tweeted ESPN guru Adam Schefter if he thought Revis was the early frontrunner for NFL Def. Player of the Year. He immediately replied to me by saying, "So far, hard to think of anyone else more deserving." High praise for a Cornerback.

Monday Night Pick for tonight.


I am in the minority if thinking that the Panthers are not completely done. I think they will play hard in this game. I just do not think it will be enough. Tony Romo puts up a big game, and makes less mistakes than Jake Delhomme. Dallas Cowboys 34, Carolina Panthers 24.



No comments:

Post a Comment