Thursday, October 1, 2009

Inheriting a New NBA team.


I grew up a New York Knicks fan. I remember the glory days of Patrick Ewing's drop step drive into the paint, Charles Oakley grabbing every rebound in sight, and Pat Riley's hardcore, do not  f*ck with us defense.

But over the past few years, I have come to realize something. I was a Patrick Ewing fan first and foremost before the Knicks.

And when the Knicks sent Ewing packing like he was cheap suit to Seattle years ago, the paint started to chip off my love for the Knicks. The past decade has not helped either.

James Dolan, Scott Layden, and Isiah Thomas have made it unbearable for any Knick fan.

Dolan is the definition of Trust Fund Baby, that is handed a business and buries it into the ground. Ironically, Dolan hand picked Isiah Thomas, after he put a basketball league into bankruptcy!

Layden, made the Ewing deal, that brought over Glenn Rice, but he forgot to acquire his knees in the deal as well. We would also like to mention the following , Shandon Anderson, Howard Eisley, Othella Harrington, the Allan Houston 100 million dollar contract (top 20 worst sports contracts ever), and the Antonio Mcdyess trade, that Layden took Nene 7th overall, and passed on Amare Stoudamire. Lastly, the following seasons top 10 pick... Michael Sweetney anyone?

Should we even mention Isiah's resume? At least he could decently draft, but thats when he did not deal the picks for Eddy Curry. Isiah was also only one of 3 stupid, crazy GM's (the others would be Elgin Baylors corpse, and Laker booster Chris Wallace) to take on Zach Randolph, his contract, and eating habits, not to mention the soap operas he had with Larry Brown, and Anucha Browne. By the way, did I even mention Stephon Marbury?

I have tried to stick with this franchise, but more and more, I have come to the realization that it was not the Blue, White, and Orange I was a fan of. I grew up in an era that the Knicks had a superstar that gave it his all, even if it never materialized into a title.

So, I am offically jumping off the wagon. I do not care if present GM Donnie Walsh is potentially getting Lebron James or not. I want to be a fan of a basketball team again. I have three candidates to choose from, none of them are playoff teams, so I am not trying to ride the wave of another franchise's success.

1) Minnesota T-Wolves

Why?- It is not a perfect franchise by any means, but it has a solid young nucleus that you can root for. Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, and most of all, rookie Point Guard Johnny Flynn.

Now, does the Ricky Rubio Saga scare me off? Not exactly. They will get good value for a guy that cannot even shave yet, but is in a Gillette commerical.

The new GM, David Khan does terrify me. He could easily become Layden/Isiah Redux 2.0.


Flynn is the kicker. I love and watch Big East Basketball, and you have to root for a smallish Point Guard that can run like a deer, jump out of the gym ( see Youtube video of Flynn dunking on Rutgers Mike Rosario), and is as tough as nails. I think he is going to be Aaron Brooks with flash and some attitude.

2. Oklahoma City Thunder

Why?- You would think the main reason is Kevin Durant right? Wrong

I love how this franchise is ran. GM Sam Presti is the textbook definition of a guy that told managment that if you are patient with me, I will make a potential dynasty. All he did for a few years was dump contracts, and collect draft picks.

Now, Presti has a fantastic young core (Durant, Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green, James Harden), along with several good role players on the roster. Oh, did I mention that the Thunder will have at the most, 40 million on the books for the 2010-2011 Free Agent Sweepstakes?

That is around 18 million under the cap. Lebron? Bosh? These guys would not be interested in playing with this group?


He is not the main reason, but Durant is a huge reason. Guy is a machine. He is going to win several scoring titles, but the thing that got me about him was 2 things. One, hes a gym rat, and has that MJ/Kobe mentality that he can score 55 in a game, and think he could do more. The second thing was when I heard that he went to Las Vegas for the Rookie League, sat on the bench with his future and potential teammates, and cheered them on. This is the type of heart and soul leader I grew up loving in Ewing.

and finally, and hear me out on this one...

3) Los Angeles Clippers

Why? - I know, Donald Sterling and that Front Office make James Dolan look like Red Auerbach, but there is plenty to like here.

1.- Two young future All-Stars in Eric Gordon and #1 overall pick Blake Griffin.

2.- How can you dislike Baron Davis? Serously.


3.- I am a sucker for the real, true underdog.

4.- Including picking up Mardy Collins option (Who is a stiff.) The Clippers only have 36 million in salaries for 10-11. That is without even taking into consideration the Clips trying to pawn off Chris Kaman's goofy mind and contract, and possibly resigning Marcus Camby.

5- Lebron should be a real possiblilty here. I know Bill Simmons brought this up first, but it really does make sense. Lebron has two potential All Stars, plus another Lottery Pick from this upcoming season to grow old with. Something the Cavs could never offer him. The Cavs also could not offer him the spotlight of actually making a LA market team viable again, and creating a Clippers-Lakers rivalry that The Hebrew Godfather (David Stern) is salavating over.

I know how I have thought this out, now I would like to know your input on it. Clippers? Thunder? T-Wolves? Stay with the Knicks? I have put up a voting poll to see what team I will inherit into SportsTown, and I will gladly take any emails @ TheSportsTown@gmail.com , or dicsuss it on Twitter(TheSportsTown) .

No comments:

Post a Comment