Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up

Another solid weekend of sports are in the books. We have our World Series matchup, the BCS is already driving fans crazy, and the NFL is, well the NFL. All I have to do in thie blog is not piss Larry Johnson off. I could not survive the Twitter backlash.

Last night, the New York Yankees finished off the Los Angeles Angels in a tough 6 game series to get into the World Series for the first time since 2003.

I found it amusing that Yankee fans react like six years without being in the World Series is the end of the world. Talk about spoiled. Even the Modell's Sporting Goods stores were open throughout the night after the victory for the merchandise. Yes, people were going to a sporting goods place at 4am! I am shaking my head as I type this.

Regurdless, I have the Yankees winning the series in five games. The AL is so much more superior than the NL play. I say the Phillies win Game 3 behind Cole Hamels and that is it. Yankee Stadium has become a huge home field advantage with that crowd right now.

How bad do you feel for Boise St.? They go to Hawaii and destroy them 54-9 in the gambling Bailout Game that must of made Vegas cry until the sun came up, and they drop four spots in the BCS.

Now, I can feel bad for Boise St., but it is justified. TCU went into nationally ranked BYU, and saying they blew them out would not give it enough justice. Iowa plays the toughest schedule of the undefeated. Cincinnati is whitewashing opponents. There is just too many undefeated for Boise St. to stake a claim in a weak conference and schedule. If Oregon beats USC this week though, it really jumpstarts Boise St. in the computers.

I know TCU will not make the National Title game, but I would love to see this defense go up against any of the top 8 in the BSC. They are just as fast as Florida and USC on defense. In my most humble opinions of course, they beat Iowa, USC, Cincinnati on a neutral field. I will not include Boise St. in this, because I know TCU would beat them by at least 10 points. DE Jerry Hughes may not win a Heisman, but what a NFL player is will be.

Alabama dodged a serious bullet on Saturday. That was the definition of a Trap Game. Tennessee off a bye week, giving defensive guru Monty Kiffin two whole weeks to stop that Bama offense. The Tide's title hopes are still alive thanks to Mt. Cody.

Can we offically kill the Tim Tebow for Heisman campaign? I do not care if he were Jesus Christ, no one should win the Heisman with more Int's than TD passes. Although, I did say the same thing about Texas QB Colt Mccoy last week, and he finally went out and had a great game.

Am I the only one that thought the end of the Saints-Dolphins game was the most fishy thing you have ever seen? For those who did not see the game.

It was excellent. Big props to the Dolphins coming out and punching the Saints in the mouth, and to the Saints, for surviving it.
Game is already over, Dolphins are down 12 with 15 seconds left, Chad Henne completes a pass down around the Saints 10 yard line. Everyone gets down there, and the Fins spike the ball with 1 second left.

The refs then huddled up for about three minutes and decided that a Dolphin player was not set properly and they called the game over. Seriously, does this game end this way if the line was not Saints -7 and with 1 second left, the Dolphins can cover?

Think about it for a second. If say for example, the Raiders down 38-0 to the Jets had 1 second left on the Jets 10 yard line, would the refs pull that maneuver? I might be paranoid, but that was awfully fishy.

Brett Favre finally lost!!! Do we have to hear how amazing he is from the press anymore? Although I will say, Favre played well against a staunch Steelers defense, making completions on throws that made my jaw drop. Someone get Chester Taylor some Stick'Em. That was an awful drop and cost the Vikings the game. No Chester, we do not care if your hands look like you just jacked off an elephant. (The Replacements humor).

It was a little ironic that one Bay Area #1 overall pick QB sun was rising, and another one's was setting. In the early games, the 49ers bench QB Shaun Hill after halftime for 2005 #1 overall pick Alex Smith, who lost his job and was going down as one of the all time draft busts. Smith came out in the 2nd half and threw three TD passes and almost pulled out a comeback victory for the 49ers. Meanwhile, in Oakland, the Raiders finally benched Jamarcus Russell after tossing 2 Int's and some other awful decisons with the ball. I know the Raider offense, mainly OLine is brutal, but the way Russell talked and acted after the game just showed all of us how much of a baby is really is. Congrats Russell, you set the Raiders back five years.

Once in a blue moon, you get one of those football games where one team just destroys the other in every single facet of the game. While I could say the Jets did that to the Raiders, I am talking about what the Bengals did to the Bears.

The Bears for years have had the mentality of, win or lose, you are going to have to earn it. Well, the Bengals came out, and kicked the crap out of the Bears on the scoreboard, and physically. That was a statement game for the Bengals, especially Cedric Benson, who smoked his old team for 189 on the ground.

Who do I like tonight? How can I pick for the Redskins in these times? They are a mess. But, how can I pick the Eagles after that pathetic loss to the Raiders? If you bet this game tonight, you are a lemon, and are asking the book to take your money. Eagles I guess cannot afford to lose two in a row.

Eagles 20, Redskins 6.

Last note. Last night, I did the Sports Geeks Fantasy NBA Draft. I suggest that you take a gander on their site. They do solid articles and podcasts.

Anyway, I wound up with the 3rd pick, and I had a hard time deciding whether to take DWade or Durant. I think Durant is going to easily win the scoring title, or I could not pass up on DWade on a contract year.

My team has a nice blend of rookies and seasoned vets. Here is my team, send some comments on how you think I did.

Wade, Nash, Duncan, B. Lopez, D. Harris, Z. Randolph (sucks for real, 20/10 monster in fantasy), J. Green, B. Griffin. A. Randolph (A freak!), J. Richardson, B. Miller, S. Curry, and B. Jennings.

Now, I am hungry and going to go grab a hot dog with Mark Sanchez. Enjoy the game tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment