Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ricky Rubio, few tidbits........


I am starting to really feel sorry for the state of Minnesota. First, they had to watch the Twins accept 30 cents on the dollar for Johan Santana and lose Torii Hunter for nothing in the same offseason. Then, they have to deal with The Days of Our Favre soap opera and now have to fall into the trap that he is their savior. Now, they have to deal with the Ricky Rubio Saga. Here are some quotes from Rubio, and I will just play translator here:


"Going to Minnesota would have just complicated my life a lot. It was a risk and I didn't see it so clearly."

Translation: There is NO way I will play basketball in Minnesota!!!

"My Priority was the NBA and it was impossible for the Minnesota Timberwolves to pay my buyout clause, so I wanted to stay home." (By the way, which is BS, because T-Wolves GM David Khan has gone back and forth to Spain all summer to negotiate a buyout agreement, and actually was reported that he reached a deal. Also, this is the same franchise that got caught for pulling Used Car sales-under the table deals in the past. Joe Smith ring a bell? Yes, different GM, but same Owner.)

Translation: My priority is to get into a big basketball market (cough New York cough). A warm market if possible (cough LA cough).

"When the season ended, I entered the draft with the intention of going to the NBA. But some things happened that kept me from being ahead of the rest and I ended #5, which I was happy with, but it didn't allow me the chance to go to the NBA. I tried, but in the end it wasn't to be."

Translation: I thought I was going to be a Top 3 pick. I thought the Grizzles had a deal to move down since I told them there was no shot in hell I was going to go play for the Lakers AAA Team. I would already be in Oklahoma City, practicing tossing alley-oops to Kevin Durant in a gym if they picked me. Then, I was happy Minnesota took me with the 5th pick, because I thought they would trade me to New York. Lastly, they drafted Johnny Flynn as well, who is a faster, quicker, tougher, more NBA ready Point Guard than I am.

"They could only put a half a million into it, and I think that deal with Minnesota had too many obstacles." (Just see above. And Ricky? The 500k thing applied to every NBA team.)

"I won't lie. My objective has always been the NBA"

Translation: Although, my Internship at ESPN was solid this summer. Did you guys check me out interviewing the parents in the stands at the Little League World Series?

This can be spun in alot of directions, but two things are clear. one, Rubio never wanted to play in Minnesota. He is now pulling an elegant, more media friendly Steve Francis Power Play. Which, if you remember, was a drafted player telling a franchise that there was a better chance of Popeye being attracted to Bluto over Olive Oil, than he would ever put on their jeresy. And last, 18 year old kids do not know how to bullshit people yet. He just offically made his bed, I hope he can sleep in it.


Couple of more tidbits:

It never ceases to amaze me how sometimes people are sheep. The #1 selling NFL jeresy? Brett Farve. That is basically an $80 snotrag when Favre has one of his classic 23 Touchdown/19 Int seasons and leads the Vikings to a 7-9 record.

The 4th best selling jeresy? Michael Vick.... Nothing out of Philly would amaze me. Just tell me, does the Vick jeresy come with his Eagles number, or his prison process number?

Speaking of Philly, I think the Phillies are getting the A-Game from Cole Hamels just at the right time.

Big props to David Wright for coming back this season after being plunked in the peanut! But, did you see that new helmet he is wearing? Now, I am all for the safety precautious, but I dunno if he is playing baseball, or if he is at the Jetson's house flying around with Elroy.

And last, the one thing I learned from Pac Man Jones signing to play in the CFL, Winnipeg must have some high quality strip clubs.



No comments:

Post a Comment